Thursday, August 4, 2011

Unspoken Fear....

There is a fear amongst mothers. It is unspoken.... Until Now!

As mothers, we fear for our children: "What if something happens to them?" "Will they be safe?" "Will they experience pain?"

As wives, we fear for our husbands: "Will he be taken unexpectedly?" "What if this is the last time I see him/tell him I love him/'be' with him?"

These are the spoken fears of mothers; prayed about, talked about, worried about....

But the unspoken fear of mothers cuts to the core. It is a fear that roots itself in pride and creates anxiety and stress. As a mother, my fear is....

"What if something happens to ME?"

I know that if something happened to Rob that our family would be devastated. I would be lost without him. My husband: best friend, teacher, the love of my life; father of my children. If something happened to him, my world would be rocked and I would never be the same. Our children would be without the person in their lives that impacts them the most.
If something happened to Rob, I would be miserable, lonely, incomplete.... but I would survive... I would HAVE to survive.

When you become a mother something changes in you.... you are given the ability to press on in circumstances that would cause most people to give up. Motherhood requires from you the emotional, physical, and mental energy that no other position ever will. You survive things that are 'unsurvivable'... and you do it for your kids.

"What if something happens to ME?"

This question haunts me. What would happen to my Brooke and Shane? Yes, they would have their daddy (and, oh what a great daddy he is!), but, they NEED me.

In the heart of every mother this fear resounds as we look at our children day in and day out. We create routines, schedules; know food preferences and allergies, and understand what our kids need to feel secure and comforted. No one else knows these things! No one else can do it! No one else can be ME!

It would take a humble woman indeed to know that her family would survive without her each day; it would take an even humbler woman to believe that someone else could step in and do her job day in and day out.

Let's face it, Mommies, we don't want to know that our families would still function without us: That they would survive just as we would in the midst of tragedy.

Instead, we wallow in our pride and allow fear to take root.

I want to challenge myself and the rest of the mothers of the world to "Fear not!" Let's claim the freedom from fear for ourselves AND our families!

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous hand..." -Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment