Monday, July 9, 2012

Gluten Free, Dairy Free... Everything Free!

This is my first post about living in a family with a limited diet. Probably what prompted this is the fact that we are going to an out of town wedding this weekend, and, I have been overcome by the amount of food prep that awaits! Luckily, my cousin has quite a few people attending that have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Non-Celiac Gluten Intollerance, so there will be food for us to eat... Even cupcakes! Score!
I, embarassed, called my cousin (the bride) to ask about the menu. I felt like an idiot- especially for a wedding- but- you have to know.

I read an article in a parenting magazine about having kids with food allergies- how often times we as parents of these kids feel like we have four eyes when we call before birthday parties to ask what will be served.  Trust me, we do not enjoy doing this. Nor do we enjoy the time it takes to then prepare something comparable for our kids to have at the party so they don't feel completely alienated and out-of-the-loop. But, you do what you have to do! At the end of the article it talked about things parents of non-allergic kids can do to help us out. Here are a few:

- Offer the menu up front to all parents
- Ask if there are any food allergies/sensitivities
- Do NOT be offended if you have a parent call to ask what is being served ahead of time
- Do not be offended if parents ask to stay at the party (especially parents of little ones) to monitor

It takes a ton of work and time to plan outings, events, playdates for families that suffer from food allergies. Haha- if you ask me to come for lunch, I may say, "No." Especially if it's a short-notice invitation. It's nothing against you- it just takes more time that I often have to get the meal around!

Some tips for parents who are struggling through the early days of food allergy identification:

- Make items in bulk and freeze them! (cupcakes, icing- which doesn't freeze solid, bread, granola bars, etc)
- Keep some snack items in the diaper bag or car (baby food pouches, fruit strips, pre-packaged bars, etc)
- Alternative milks now come in individual serving boxes (like juice boxes)- stick some in the car/diaper bag
- Be up front with friends/family. They may not "get it" at first, but, they will eventually!

As for me... I am off to make a gluten free, dairy free, nut free PB&J.... ;)

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. Luckily, it is not my kids who are gluten free (yet). It is me. There is a bit of a challenge to make sure that I can eat something when we go to outings. I always have some snack food stashed in our vehicle, just in case we run into a situation where there is nothing else I can eat. We are going camping this weekend, and I had to change the menu that I used to use for camping. But that isn't too hard because it's still me cooking the food so I know it will be OK. The bigger challenge will be in a few weeks when we stay with relatives, and won't necessarily be doing the cooking. I think I'm going to bring along some substitute foods to have on hand, such as GF flour and a few other things that should make it easier.

    ReplyDelete